Monday, July 14, 2008

Sleeping and Dreaming

Okay, so I'm back from Hokkaido where the G8 summit was carrying on, and I joined many activists and professors and media to shout and scream and carry on as much as we 3000 could against those 21 000 police.

I travelled there with Jon

from Haneda airport in Tokyo where we fell asleep

to Sapporo where we awoke in mid air.


We drank delicious Sapporo Classics

and tried to get oriented around the city centres where activists would congregate. We had bought a tent and sleeping bags but ended up sleeping at a media centre

and showering here.

We stayed for the biggest protest in Sapporo





where police smashed the window of a soundtrack blasting Bjork's "declare independence" for the fierce dancing crowd, and pulled out the driver and wrestled away the DJ for no fucking reason but to kill our spirits.

Later the police protected a soundtruck blasting right wing nationalist hate, and when I was filming them up close for the G8Media Network, I was privy to the exceptional fear of standing in front of a 100 police who suddenly all push down their face masks in one sudden action, and appear ready to charge. So I stepped back for this photo.

Other times the police were very funny, standing guard with intimidating faces all over the city, and then being exceptionally polite and helpful when I go up to ask them where the public bath is (3 days of that sink was too much).


Cleaned up, Jon and I and some new anarchist friends of ours hit the town for a punk club

where I promptly fell asleep amidst the din. In the morning light we headed back for the media centre where we were told there was going to be a police raid with fear of deportation.

Jon needing to come back to Japan some day for his lovely girlfriend Ai, and me to stay to keep working decided to wander back to the great park in the centre of town and sleep till

our bus for Hakodate








The next day we took a train for Onuma Quasi National Park, where we hiked and swam and Jon left and I slept in the dark worried about bears, hiding my food in a tree which was promptly eaten by squirrels.


And then Tokyo again.

No comments: