Tuesday, February 19, 2008

You, a big fan of sweeeeeeets


Hey everyone, I went with a student/friend of mine to Yokohama to do Japanese Tea Ceremony, which is a traditional form thats been ever refined since about the 15th century. I knew it had a lot of history and decorum, so it was a bit surprising to see that all the old women (everyone was over 50 for certain except me and my friend Miyu) were laughing and talking a lot during the ceremony, while following the rituals perfectly (or near perfect - it was more of a Tea Ceremony practice). I felt like those '70s "oriental" BBC documentaries where the journalist is willing to get right involved in the traditional practices they are showing the viewer back home, but never get out of their suit and tie. I was really impressed by the women who sat on their folded feet while kneeling (i hope you can imagine this and try it at home), because after about 10 minutes it was wickedly painful. They didnt expect me to sit it out, and even tried to bring me a chair, but I refused with a polite set of nods and "daijoboos" ('i'm fine'). Anyway, it was great to see this rare sight, but a bit strange when Miyu, who I had been joking around on a bus (first time on a Tokyo city bus!) only 15 minutes before was serving me a small sweet dish in a complete prostration (to which I responded), and who is pretty awkward on the street but moved with poise and smoothness in the tea room.

Another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDRXqbIP4k

This one is definitely influenced by the final Sopranos episode, and you know what? I'm gonna fix it to make that more obvious! But I probably wont put the final addition on youtube, so enjoy the original in all its flaws.

Aw forget it I uploaded it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERugluIX9-E

1 comment:

Jesse Jace said...

440 in Shimokita, yes? I gave them my demo and said "GIVE ME A SHOW." They never answered. Jerks.