Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Embed!



How can I explain? My life is a fine one but there's nothing particularly interesting that I'm doing for the time being. I go for coffee everyday at this cafe that can only fit 3 people, where I chat with the staff and they sneak me sweets I dont want but am too touched not to eat. I teach English conversation 5 days a week: "gonna" "at-ome". There are a few students who I treasure dearly for making the days bearable, and others I desperately maneouver with other teachers never to see again. One student who started out as the latter and became the former is Yu, born in Germany, rich and not working, who swears a lot, and talks about drugs, and took a photo of me for his girlfriend so she wouldnt be jealous that he's spending 40 minutes in a room with a female. He's flighty and ridiculous and misogynistic. He's mentioned a few times that we should hang out outside of school, and I've just brushed this off politely each time, laughing about him with the other teacher but I realised 'no I do want to hang out with him just once. I want to see into his strange world...if he buys me drinks.' And the lessons are always interesting.

My kids classes finished on Saturday, which stabs me a bit right there you know? The kids I had were really fantastic even when they were absolutely mental...this one kid Souichi would cry everytime he won a game or was made the centre of attention. One time we played "London Bridge" and when the bridge fell on him he burst into tears and started punching his mom. In my experience, kids get away with a lot of stuff. In another class, Takuma (who for my first 3 weeks I called Takafuma), two years old, would run around stacking cushions and leaping on them, jumping on a table and running around on it, playing with the tape deck, leaving the class room, all with a wonderful sense of joy that nonetheless aggravates a teacher trying to control a class. The whole time his ma just would watch him and sometimes call out "Taku Taku" and that's it.

I keep losing and gaining things:
LOST (in the last month)
-5000YEN
-CD player
-Murakami's "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"
-9 fine roomates
-Antonio Negri
-kids classes

GAINED
-2 futons
-Augusten Burroughs book
-Murakami's "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"
-3 fine roomates
-a quarter bottle of suntory whiskey
-new kids classes (next week)

As for the video, when I finished and was looking up how to spell Philip Glass for its title, I saw that he did the soundtrack for Koyaanisqatsi, that '80s movie with people moving around really fast in cities, and yeah realised that that's where I got the idea for the movie...I was always vaguely aware that I was doing a Koyaanisqatsi thing, but I never realised I was doing a total rip off of it. If I twist my brain in the right way, that actually further emphasises what I was trying to make fun of.

No comments: