Monday, March 31, 2008

sakura sakura sakura sakura sakura sakura sakura

rain & wind beat hard to swell
teeming sticky life
streets & sidewalks are stunning

(how many reverse haikus are written this time of year?)


Hanami is roughly Japanese for "drinking in the park when the cherry blossoms are out"

Thursday me and Andy went to Koganei Park not half hour on our dogs. In about 1 minute of sitting down, we were joined by a class of chemistry grad students and their professor, who had disgusting lines of spit along the side of his mouth. We played frisbee and drank and were offered 'Japanese snatch' by Takuma, who meant 'snacks', but nonetheless was very eager for me and Andy to concur with him on the beauty and superiority of Japanese women. We promised we would be friends forever. Every day was very similar to that first one, as everywhere we went we made friends forever in about 5 minutes flat. Although I'm sure to never see any of these people again, I'm not going to forget them either.



On Friday Andy, Shinei, Caitlin, Claire and I went to Inokishira Park








Saturday night me and Andy, Catherine, Jamie, Carson, and Loren went to Ueno, the biggest hanami spot in Tokyo. Asking my students if its a good place to go, I got a lot of visceral answers of praise or revulsion.









Finally, on Sunday I joined a larger group in tatters after I finished work on Sunday....Ed, Sarah, Derek, Andy, Nick, Lori and a few forgotten names were the only ones left in the rain and mud.



1 comment:

Wayne said...

Where else in the world would you see a store called simply "Pizza Coffee"?

You're not just big in Japan Dan, you're also big in my heart.