Monday, December 17, 2007

Best Boy

I wish I could describe to you the beautiful beautiful sunset I saw from the top of the Texas Instruments building today in the countryside outside Tokyo, a beautiful 100 foot Buddha statue in dark blue silhouetted in the distance against beautiful myriad pinks and oranges against a pale blue sky, beside a most beautiful lake, wrapped in a beautiful haze. But I forgot to bring my camera, so the little time I had I stared as fast as I could.

I was there because I've started to do volunteering with a filmmaker named Michael Goldberg, who has a quiet laugh and tells bad jokes. He's been in Japan for about 37 years, making documentaries and news segments and corporate videos. We drove out to the countryside today to film the New Year's greetings by the heads of Texas Instruments-Japan. Its really great for me though because I learned alot today and I'm sure I'll learn a lot tomorrow. Michael also told me a story about hitchhiking to Mexico City with a girlfriend in the late sixties and how they got arrested in Texas because she lost her passport in the Pacific. I suddenly woke up from the old tired man I didnt even know I was. I guess I had forgot that all my scrounging was for a reason.

Also, while cutting my hair over the sink tonight, I realised how I act like a homeless man who has suddenly gotten himself in a lucky situation with a shelter and food, even though I've been in this situation for 23 years. But its for a reason. plus cutting my hair is fun. I never know what I'm gonna get.

No comments: